TIME: 15 MINUTES
TIME: 25 MINUTES
TIME: 40 MINUTES
Serving Size: 4
2 pounds boneless chicken, cut into bite size pieces
4 tablespoon flour (use a gluten free blend if needed)
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1/2 cup pomegranate juice
1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
2 tablespoon brown sugar
2 cloves garlic minced or grated
1 teaspoon chili paste (sambal oelek)
8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
1 cup fresh or frozen broccoli
1/4 cup sesame seeds
pomegranate arils, for serving
Ginger Rice Pilaf
3 tablespoons coconut oil
1/2 cup orzo pasta (use gluten free if needed)
1 cup white or brown basmati or jasmine rice
1 inch piece fresh ginger, grated
2 1/2 cups chicken broth (or water)
1. To make the rice, heat a 10-12 inch sided skillet over medium heat. Add the coconut and orzo pasta. Allow the pasta to get slightly golden and toasted, about 2 minutes. Add the rice and toast the rice another 2 minutes. Add the ginger and cook 30 seconds longer or until the garlic is fragrant. Slowly pour in the chicken broth and bring the mixture to a boil. Once boiling, cover and reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer for 20-25 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, make the chicken. Add the diced chicken to a bowl and toss with the flour to coat.
3. Heat a large wok or skillet over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon sesame oil and sear the chicken in batches until browned on all sides, about 3-4 minutes per batch. Remove the chicken to a plate and carefully wipe the hot skillet or wok clean.
4. In a glass measuring cup or bowl, whisk together the toasted sesame oil, pomegranate juice, soy sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar, garlic and chili paste.
5. Heat the wok on high heat and add the remaining 1 tablespoon sesame oil. Add the broccoli and mushrooms, cook for 3-5 minutes or until just lightly charred. Reduce the heat to low and slowly pour in the pomegranate/soy mixture. Slide the chicken back in and bring the sauce to a bubble. Simmer for 5-10 minutes or until the sauce thickens and coats the chicken. Remove from the heat and toss with 3 tablespoons sesame seeds.
Divide the rice among plates or bowls. Top with chicken + veggies and then sprinkle with sesame seeds and pomegranate arils.